Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Rocco DeLuca & the Burden

My Dear Still Most Treasured Friends, (I've not yet run off with The Band), but notice I have dropped poor Steve off the list today. Nothing bad, just probably best not go on about this all with him ad nauseum,

Well what can I say? Having Fantastico Time! Wish you were all here (highly reccomend such an outing for all at some point). Cheers!

I have to keep this short, as Kate and I did not get to sleep untill nearly 4:30 am! I was awakened by Betsy's little voice at `10:30AM on her way home from reading lessons!! The whole fam. was in the mini-van (so camp!) including little Sally, whom Steve really has taken to carting around with the kids on all the things I've scheduled for them!! Note: it was also very nice to hear Betsy's little voice on my voicemail when I got home at 2:30 am wishing I was having a good time, they missed me, and were saying goodnight. I really must say I hadn't checked my phone from about 6 pm when the party started, till I got home at 2:30 am. Trust me I could never have heard it!! I saved the message.

Well we got to Webster Hall at about 4 pm for a 6 pm show (Kate's idea) but must say it worked out well. She's inclined to get there about two hours early again tonight. I on the other hand will have a little look see around The East Village, and join her on line about an hour early.

By being early last night we did see the bands arriving with instruments going in to set-up and do their soundchecks. That was fun. The skinny young British group The Feeling were cute to see! This surely was not Melrose, this scene!

We got in just fine and stood right up first next to the stage! I positioned myself to get the best view of their two drummers of course (I could have handed them back a stick if they dropped it I was so close!) I was also right in front of Rocco, of Rocco DeLuca & the Burden. He's very cute, and plays a mean Dobro. The guys really gave a great show. Unfortunately , since they are sharing the venue with two other bands on this vh1 "you ought to know" tour they were first act with only a 30min set. They picked their best songs to play and gave enough extra on the songs so that you felt like you got your money's worth for the Live Show!! Well Done! as my friend Kate would say!! (Actually, she would probably say it was "fucking, bloody, well done!"

We went to the Merchandise table and really got to say hello and get things signed by them and actually have a bit of a chat as they probably were not the real pull for this venue, so the crowd at the table was easy to deal with. They were very nice, and gracious!! We actually chatted with them a little more throughout the show at the bar etc. I got to talk to one of the drummers about my upcoming, earthshaking decision of buying a very good electronic drum set or a real drum set. It was fun. Today I have a total need to go play drums at my favorite store, The Sam Ash Percussion Store. Which I will, They actually have lots of drums set up for this purpose. So I'll take a good half-hour to work out some stuff!! I think I will also pick-up the two drummers a new pair of good VIC drumsticks each as a token of my gratitude for reaching so far inside my drumming soul, (which I have honestly felt since I was about 5 years-old!! It really has not been let out to play very much in it's lifetime YET!)

Anyhow, the second band got the 40 min slot last night, (tonight Rocco and The Feeling switch on that ) . They were suprisingly, very good and had lots of energy which I so appreciated! The drummer had a bigger set and was more the focus than Rocco's Boys, which again , I appreciated. I of course bought their CD for $10 and had them all sign it, and say a good hello to them. They were also extremely nice. It was fun to say, see you all tomorrow night and again up in Boston Friday night!! (I really am just too cool!! Aren't I?!!)

Lastly, was Matt Kearney and his band, his drummer had the biggest best set of the night!!!) which was the top billing for the night. He's a young white guy with a very good guitar, rap, address some political issues type thing going. It's very nice. I don't feel he had the energy of the other two, and felt the songs were a little more repetetive (than again, rap can be!!). It was good in that it was just different enough for me. I did buy his cd also, for $10 and thought I'd get it signed, but he seemed to do an encore instead of a meet and greet. I could get his cd signed and have a word with him as he comes into Webster Hall tonight if I really wanted to. (Nope, just decided Kate's the hard -core one who will be there and she'll get mine signed with hers. Thanks Kate!)

I REALLY enjoyed the nearly three hours of a very good rock show, Melanie, Carolyn, and Stephen, I just know you all are going to enjoy yourselves!!
It may not be too late if anyone else has changed their minds? There may be tickets left, but I don't know for sure? Anyone? Anyone?

So, It was clear to me last night that it was definitely not all about Rocco and the Boys, (which it actually never was) (by the way, I asked the drummer Ryan if Kiefer was in town for their shows, but he said no he was very busy filming the final season episodes for 24. So no Kiefer either, which is good and let's me relax into it all better, as I'm not looking for Kiefer to get an autograph!) but that I appreciated the live, energetic music, and it didn't really matter which band was up there. They were pretty interchangeable in my mind. However, real music wise, I still definitely think Rocco is the best of them. I have been listening to his music a lot lately, and I am so NOT bored of it, like I have easily become within a couple weeks of playing a particular song or group hard and heavy. I take this as an important indicator for me.

I would have been content, to go home after the show, but we were easily swept across the street to The Pourhouse. Which Kate thought they said we were all going to the "Whorehouse, and we still followed!!!! LOL!!!! A nice, popular , after show bar. The place was crowded and I knew we were doing well when I managed to get a seat right up at the bar for my diet coke and a Guinness for my friend. If I had held out 5 mins. longer before I ordered, we would have been added easily to the bar tab of the very nice vh1 people, who we hung out with till 2 am!!! (the place f$#$#%ing closed at 2am!!! at least officially!!) Well done don't you think??!!!

These kids were young. 22- 30 year olds running all theses shows and many were with different advertising companies, Loreal, Wendy's, MTV, to name a few. If what they said was true, and I suspect there was a little exaggerating going on in this crowd, they were handling 50 to 140 MILLION DOLLAR accounts!!! (Didn't feel bad about my Diet Cokes on them!!!) Geez! I learned quite a bit about a slice of life, I really had NO idea about. I found it hard to believe but we really all got on so well. They seemed to be genuinely interested in Kate and I , We did eventually make the running tab!!

WEll this has gotten way too long, and it's 12:30 now and we're trying to get out by 1 pm. Off to The Mary Poppin's Bank (for those of you in "the know"!) They should know what to do with a bloody, British Pound if anyone does!!} Kate and I have taken to spliting the Gray's Papaya special. She get's the papaya. I keep to one hot dog for my blood pressure's sake. which unfortunately, I must report, is still not doing as well as I 'd like.

Saw a new doctor about it at Harvard Pilgrim Medford last week, finally decided to leave Lahey for my healthcare. My bp was found to be 190/112 by her in her office.!!! She told me not to get alarmed and started me on a new antihypertensive, which I was to take all last week and record my pressures. which I did and they came down as far as 170/11o. So I was then to add the second drug this week , which I did and keep track, which I am happy to report it has come down as far as 150/100. Which is slighlty better. Anyhow, know that I am keeping an eye on it throughout this fun escapade.

I'll close with, we did get invited to see a different even more up and coming band tonight with free tickets and backstage passes left for us at the door if we really wanted them. But we have our Rocco tix for tonight and so enjoy them, that we politely declined. Soo many shows, soo little time!!! Lastly, there was the possibility of following along to the "real after party" down-town at some Chinese Strip-clubs? I'm not really sure about that, but I did hear talk of it!! We also found out through our new found "friends" that Rocco and two other good bands were playing at the well known Milk Studios (photography, awesome gallary in Chelsea) Thursday night, private function, and we may just get a couple of tix gratis from them. They'll call us today. No promises and it's all been way beyond our expectations!! I headed for home at 2 am, Kate stayed out a while with some of the folks, but caught a cab home by 3am. We re-hashed it all till 4:30 am, because it was really well beyound fucking belief!!! Who'd have ever thunk!!!

I was awakeneded by my Betsy this am, now we're off to who knows what tonight!! However, I think we both agree if we died now, we really did have more of a great time than we could have ever imagined!

So Kate's out of the shower, gotta go.

Just remember, It's All Good!!

Peace Out, LPK

7 comments:

Free10007 said...

So fun was had! Wonderful. Hi to Kate!

On the blood pressure...we've "talked" briefly about meditation/yoga. Yes, it helps.

If you get to Barnes & Noble or Borders (or your local library), and are so inclined, check out Jon Kabat-Zinn's *Full Catastrophe Living*, which details the work they've done at the University of Massachusetts hospitals with bringing meditation out of the monastery and into a health care setting. If you google "Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction" (which is what this form of meditation is called) you'll see that regular people achieve real results!

OK, I have the day off. Should be pulling my taxes together. (Could I have waited any longer?)

Keep the partying. I mean the peace!

lpk said...

Wow A,

Thanks for the yoga/meditation help. The drugs are certainly not bringing it down to normal range yet, they will probably exert some more effect within a few weeks. I wonder how quick yoga/meditation works?

Full Catastrophe Living (I'm sorry to say that this is probably something that WOULD speak to me!!) is something I will look into soon at home. Thanks for your concern, I really do appreciate it.

Kate and I had another fantabulous, although much EARLIER second nite concert, which I will try and post on tonight. Today we are just hanging around the Upper West Side, Apple Store, some cool concert photo pics to get developed quckly so I can have them for signing for myself and friends at the Boston Concert Friday night!!! 2 down, one to go!!! (tonight's other possible concert did not pan out).

So gotta run, thanks again. LPK

Jorge said...

L, Sure sounds like you are having a god time. My two cents for your bp is watch what you eat, exercise and sleep. Everything in moderation. Take Care, Jorge

lpk said...

Dear Jorge,

Thanks for the bp tip. That advice is always in fashion!!! Muchas Gracias!!! LPK

KiefersKate said...

WOW lpk!!!

I really should have read this much sooner than now... I was wondering what the hell happened last Tuesday... and you knew all along!!! Bugger me!!

It was an awesome night and an incredible week! You are absolutely right! If I died now I'd go with a huge smile on my face! A wonderful adventure, free from responsibility and worry and full of fun, laughter and surreal experiences! Excellent! I owe a lot of it to you (well you invited me!!) and thank you very much... Fucking well done that girl!

Cheers mate!
It is ALL GOOD!

KiefersKate said...

p.s. Just listening to Daybreaker and couldn't help thinking of YOU!!! LOL! :-))

lpk said...

Hey Kieferskate,

What's the name of that song again?

Well it's true I invited you, and put you up for a week, but you brought the rest of the show all the way from Wales!!! You brought so much physically (burned cd's with all our favorite music, great glossies you made with your printer of Kiefer and
Rocco DeLuca & the Burden for us to have autographed, which I will always cherish and would not have had on my own!!!!, movies, educational books for the kids about England, Wales, medieval times, etc., the Welsh National Anthem with English translation (The fam. and I have almost got it down!!), I'm sure there was more. Spiritually, mentally, emotionally, WOW, you were quite a package Kieferskate and we had the time of our lives!

I was fine with just letting you do what ever you wanted and I just hung on for as much or as little as I wanted. Almost like a fly on a wall, and I had a fab. time!! Well done!!!Thanks!!

I didn't think I would ever say this to someone, but I must say I am glad you smoke, because you "rolling those fags!!" sure got us into a lot of places!!! Well done again!!

My head is still spinning from it all, and I too am a bit knackered still.

I'm glad we met on line and were able to pull off such a fun adventure!!

Hey guess what I'm listening to now? Nope, not Rocco, but Matt Kearney!! A couple of his songs really grew on me. Hell I guess if you hear a band perform live 3 times in one week, it has a way of sticking with you!!!!

Well, gotta go, call my mom who I've neglected for almost 3 weeks!!!

Then get ready for 24!!!! I'm going to try and do the real time running commentary with the girls tonight. That was great fun last week!! Another good internet friendship story!!!
Cheers Kate!!!